
England captain Harry Brook has responded to growing speculation that Pakistani players could feature in the upcoming edition of The Hundred series, with reports suggesting that Indian Premier League (IPL)-affiliated owners may not include them.
In a recent interview, Brooke turned his attention to England’s immediate cricketing goals, stressing that the team is fully focused on preparations for the upcoming T20 World Cup.
However, he took time to acknowledge Pakistan’s enduring legacy in the game, hailing the nation as one of the strongest and most influential cricketing nations in history.
“Our main focus now is what happens in the T20 World Cup. It’s none of our business to be honest. I would say Pakistan has been a great cricketing nation for years. There are about 50, 60 players in the bidding and it would be a shame not to see some of them there,” Brook noted.
The England captain emphasized the vast contributions Pakistan cricketers make to global competitions.
He noted that beyond their individual talent, they bring a passionate fan following and an electrifying energy that enhances the atmosphere and commercial appeal of any tournament.
“There are some fantastic cricketers and they bring some big crowds too. It would be a shame not to see some of the Pakistani players there and make the match and competition even better,” he added.
English media reports indicate that Manchester Supergiants, MI London, Southern Braves and Sunrisers Leeds, all four of which are partly owned by IPL-linked investors, may ignore Pakistani players in next month’s auction.
A senior ECB official reportedly told an agent that interest in Pakistani players would be limited to owners not affiliated with IPL entities. Another agent described the practice as an “unwritten rule” in leagues with IPL-linked investments.
The development contradicts ECB chief executive Richard Gould’s assurance last year that Pakistani cricketers would not face restrictions due to IPL influence.
“We know the challenges Pakistani players face in other regions, but that doesn’t happen here,” Gold said, confirming the ECB’s content.
Historically, Pakistani players have stayed away from the IPL since its inception in 2008 and have had limited opportunities in leagues such as South Africa’s SA20, UAE’s ILD20 and USA’s Major League Cricket (MLC) due to IPL affiliations.
However, they were regular participants in England’s The Hundred, with stars such as Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim featuring in the competition last year before new investors took over.
For the upcoming edition, over 950 players — including Shaheen Shah Afridi, Shadab Khan, Haris Rauf, Saeem Ayub and Usman Tariq — have registered for the inaugural auction scheduled for March 11 (women) and March 12 (men) at Piccadilly, London.
Absent from the list are Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan, whose availability will be limited through Pakistan’s Test series against the West Indies in August.
Pakistan’s limited overs teams are free during The Hundred window from July 21 to August 16.